UNDERSTANDING CULTURAL DIFFERENCES
Geert Hofstede’s research gives us insights into other cultures so that we can be more effective when interacting with people in other countries. If understood and applied properly, this information should reduce your level of frustration, anxiety, and concern. But most important, Geert Hofstede will give you the ‘edge of understanding’ which translates to more successful results.
What are the practical applications for Geert Hofstede’s research on cultural differences?
For those who work in coaching or international business, it is sometimes amazing how different people in other cultures behave. We tend to have a human instinct that ‘deep inside’ all people are the same – but they are not. Therefore, if we go into another country and make decisions based on how we operate in our own home country – the chances are we’ll make some very bad decisions.
One example of cultural differences in business is between the Middle Eastern countries and the Western countries, especially the United States.
When negotiating in Western countries, the objective is to work toward a target of mutual understanding and agreement and ‘shake-hands’ when that agreement is reached – a cultural signal of the end of negotiations and the start of ‘working together’.
In Middle Eastern countries much negotiation takes place leading into the ‘agreement’, signified by shaking hands. However, the deal is not complete in the Middle Eastern culture. In fact, it is a cultural sign that ‘serious’ negotiations are just beginning.
Imagine the problems this creates when each party in a negotiation is operating under diametrically opposed ‘rules and conventions.’
This is just one example why it is critical to understand other cultures you may be doing business with – whether on a vacation in a foreign country, or negotiating a multi-million dollar deal for your company.
CLICK HERE for : GERT HOFSTEDES EXCELLENT WEBSITE
Philippe Rosinkis book COACHING ACROSS CULTURES provides some excellent insights based on his first hand coaching experience with executives and teams from some of the worlds largest organsiations. He presents a dynamic three-step process – the differences need to be understood and and this can become a powerful positive force within the coaching relationship
Get Phillipes book here and other useful books: COACHING ACROSS CULTURES
- NOW ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS : Coaching via Skype / Facetime / 1 to 1 meetingsMy career experience includes HR Director and senior executive roles in Barclays plc and Tesco plc leading major transformation and complex change programmes reporting at Board level .I have an MBA, BA and I am a member of the Association for Coaching. I am an accredited coach with over 12 years of private client coaching experience and as an associate consultant with Penna (UK) dealing with career, life,executive and business coaching and counselling. I work in mentoring and coaching partnerships with executives to help achieve gains of importance to them.I help people of all ages, different cultures and job levels to understand more about themselves, their impact on others and how to develop across major dimensions in life.
I respect the integrity and confidentiality of my clients building on their existing great skills and abilities and evolving enhanced self guidance : ” No one in the world was ever you before, with your particular gifts and abilities and possibilities.”Specialties: Holistic / systemic approach to coaching
- Remote coaching via Skype and Apple Facetime
- Coaching for Executive performance /High Potential including C level
- Senior Executive mentoring
- First 100 days
- Career Coaching/portfolio lifestyle
- Coaching for powerful presentations
- Life Coaching
- Executive advice on staff insight surveys
- Facilitating key meetings and C- level strategic retreats engaging around people decisions that flow from business choices
- Business/HR Strategy ,Change Leadership
- Communications strategy
- Psychometrics,NLP,Emotional Intelligence
- Confidence&Self Esteem
- Creativity coaching
- Independent Consulting propositions coaching
- Non Executive director coaching
- Business Report/White Paper writing
- Graduate career coaching